For those craving a little treat but don’t want to spend too much time, Battersby would like to introduce you to a simple chocolate fudge recipe. It only requires some basic ingredients that you can find on your kitchen counter.
One key difference is that this recipe doesn’t need sweetened condensed milk like other sweet recipes. Its taste is very delicious and brings back childhood memories. So, how to make fudge without condensed milk?
Let’s find out in this article!
Easy Chocolate Fudge Recipe Without Condensed Milk Yield
There’s nothing better than homemade chocolate fudges. Let’s explore the process of making chocolate fudge the traditional way in this section.
Fast chocolate fudge recipe
There are three methods by which you can make fudge without sweetened condensed milk. Here is the first method.
- White sugar (2 cups).
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (1/2 cup).
- Milk (1 cup).
- Butter (4 teaspoons).
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon).
2. Cooking Directions
The steps to make a simple fudge are as follows:
- Spray non-stick coating on an 8×8 inch square baking pan.
- Take a medium saucepan, put the sugar, milk, and cocoa in it. Stir well to get an even mixture. While stirring, bring to a boil to thicken.
- Reduce the temperature but stop stirring.
- Cook again until 238 degrees F. You can use a candy thermometer to guess the temperature. If not, use your finger and feel, the surface of the mixture will not stick to your hand to the touch. Or else you can put it in cold water, use the metal spoon and make the soft ball test.
- Turn off the fire. Add butter and vanilla to the mixture.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until the color mixture loses its shine.
- Once done, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let it cool.
Add butter and chocolate chips to the bowl
If the first method doesn’t work for you, try reading the second method.
- Butter or butter substitute (8 teaspoons).
- Milk chocolate chips (1 cup).
- Powdered sugar (1/2 cup). It would help if you sifted it before use.
- Milk (1/4 cup).
View more: Alfredo Sauce Without Heavy Cream
2. Cooking Directions
Here are the steps for this microwave fudge without condensed milk:
- Prepare in advance a square pan measuring 4×4 inches. To prevent sticking, you should wrap it with aluminum foil and leave the edges.
- Get a bowl that is medium and usable in the microwave. Pour in the butter and chocolate chips mixture. For those who don’t like sweets, use semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Heat the water for 30 seconds to melt the mixture. Stir the mixture evenly.
- Once everything is smooth, quickly pour the sifted powdered sugar into the mixture. You should sift the sugar before using it so that it doesn’t get lumpy or sugar crystals.
- Add milk.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours for the mixture to harden completely.
Simple recipes for delicious chocolate fudge
The third method is even more straightforward. If you are looking for a 2 ingredient fudge without condensed milk recipe, check this out.
- Chocolate ready-made frosting (1 container).
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz).
2. Cooking Directions
With this simple fudge recipe, all you have to do is:
- Prepare a square baking pan measuring 8×8 inches. Line the surface with foil, leaving a little at the edges.
- Place chocolate chips in a heatproof or microwave-safe bowl.
- With the frosting container, microwave it and cook for 20 to 30 seconds. Make sure the mixture is hot and completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate chips on top and let the heat make them completely melted. Stir well to blend the mixture smoothly.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the foil-lined baking pan. Place in the fridge with a plastic wrap on top to harden the mix, and you’ll have homemade fudge.
If you want a more visual tutorial, check out this video!
Add More Flavors To Your Fudge
Just eating plain chocolate fudge sounds bland. You will want to change up the flavors to refresh your taste buds daily.
With just a few slight variations, your creamy fudges will appear with a new look. One of the simplest ways is to do layered fudge.
If you’re wondering which ingredients would be the best fit, check out the list below:
- White chocolate.
- Peanut butter.
What about ideas for mix-ins for a rocky road fudge? Take a look at the list below:
- Chopped cookies.
- Mini marshmallows.
- Dried fruit.
- Mint extract.
- Sea salt.
- Coconut flakes.
Sometimes a few ingredients can affect the texture of your homemade fudge. We recommend testing with a small patch before applying it to a whole batch.
What Is Fudge?
People believed that fudge was born in the 1800s in the United States. However, there is no concrete evidence for this claim. Some of the first documents we found about creamy fudge were in the 1880s in Baltimore.
There are many fudge recipes, but the two most popular are sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.
What Is Condensed Milk?
Condensed milk is cow’s milk that has had all the water removed by the use of heat. Thanks to that, the texture of this milk is thick, creamy, and sticky.
If you want to add sweetness to the milk, choose sweetened condensed milk with sugar in the ingredients. Sugar also acts as a thickener and prevents bacterial growth. It allows you to use milk for a long time.
You can combine the thick texture of this milk dish with many different recipes to create a sweet cream. Keep in mind that evaporated milk is not the same as condensed milk, so you cannot substitute them in recipes.
Some Substitutes Of Condensed Milk
The mixture of butter and chocolate chips is the most similar alternative to condensed milk in terms of sweetness and creaminess. You can mix this mixture in the microwave or a water bath.
Depending on the type of microwave oven you use, cooking and prep time will vary. Usually, it will take you 20 to 30 seconds to melt the whole thing.
During the preparation process, you need to stir to make sure the chocolate is completely melted constantly.
How To Store Fudge?
One good news is that you can keep your fudge in the freezer for up to a year without losing its flavor. Please put it in an airtight container or use saran wrap to keep the moisture as best as possible.
In the refrigerator, the shelf life of this dish will be much shorter, only 2 to 3 weeks. If you don’t like to eat it cold, keep this treat in a cool room. You can eat it for two weeks.
If your fudge has multiple layers of cream, use wax paper between the layers to prevent sticking.
Try this simple chocolate fudge recipe without condensed milk today. This simple fudge recipe is easy to make and succeeds for a sweet dessert to energize. Both adults and children will love this treat.
If you want to learn more about other simple recipes, explore more with Battersby. With a bit of effort and care, you will surely succeed!