The homemade cinnamon rolls are truly amazing. They are fragrant and have a gentle sweetness, suitable for any time of the day.
This frosting has an extremely simple recipe, so there is no excuse if you forget it. Except for the cinnamon rolls, this icing proves to be a universal coating when it can be served with a variety of other sweets.
Powdered sugar is the main ingredient for this coating. But for picky mouths, we need to find a substitute. Let’s see how to make icing for cinnamon rolls without powdered sugar!
Cinnamon rolls with icing is a perfect combination
Recipe Of Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Powdered Sugar
In this section, we will show you how to make glaze without powdered sugar. You do not need to worry while making it, as the recipe is also very simple and easy to follow. Because of the change of ingredients, the glaze taste will be slightly different from the traditional recipe.
Keep in mind that you will need to stir a lot with this icing recipe. It will help the mixture come together and solidify.
Now, shall we begin?
The ingredients for making cinnamon rolls frosting without powdered sugar
- Milk (1/2 cup). You can use evaporated milk if you like.
- All-purpose flour (2 tablespoons).
- Sugar (3/4 cup).
- Soft butter (1/2 cup). You can choose from salted or unsalted butter. It is up to your taste.
- Vanilla extract (1/2 tablespoons).
The steps to make icing for cinnamon rolls include:
- Take a small saucepan, pour cold milk and flour into the pan. Place on the stove with medium heat. During the cooking process, constantly stir the mixture so that it thickens and has a smooth texture.
- Turn off the stove. While the mixture is still warm, add a few drops of vanilla extract to scent the blend. Stir until the vanilla extract incorporates into the mixture.
- Set the pan aside, cover it with plastic wrap, and let cool. This step is essential for the following operations, so please note that you should not forget it.
You can make use of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to whip this mixture
- Get another large mixing bowl. Use a whisk and beat the granulated sugar with the butter at medium speed. You can also use a spoon but it will take more time and effort. For the finished product to have a reasonable set, you need to beat this sugar mixture until it turns light yellow and has a fluffy texture.
- Once the milk-flour mixture has cooled, add the butter-sugar mixture. The reason to wait for the temperature to drop is that butter melts very quickly at high temperatures. It will cause the mixture not to stick together.
- Use a whisk or stand mixer to beat the mixture thoroughly to achieve a standard smooth consistency.
- Use a fridge-friendly tub to spread your icing over the cinnamon rolls. You can also use this coating for other treats like cookies or cupcakes.
Pour and spread the icing onto your golden brown cinnamon rolls
A small tip for those wanting thinner icing is to reduce the amount of flour and add more milk.
View more: Peanut Butter Cookies Without Brown Sugar
You can add about three tablespoons of milk to make the texture lighter. The more flour you use, the thicker and more fluffy the result will be.
Why Make Cinnamon Roll Frosting Without Powdered Sugar?
The main ingredient of powdered sugar is cornstarch
We can easily distinguish between granulated sugar and powdered sugar at one glance. With its smooth texture, it is sometimes easy to get carried away when using powdered sugar. Many people confess that they often “accidentally” put more powdered sugar than usual in the baking process.
One of the main ingredients of this sugar is cornstarch. It plays a significant role in preventing sugar from clumping.
Some people are allergic to cornstarch. So when serving cinnamon roll icing to a large group of people, you should limit the use of this ingredient. We can’t tell if the cornstarch used in your cinnamon roll recipe is pure or not.
If ordinary people have gluten intolerance, it will be a big problem.
Suppose you are in search of powdered sugar substitutes, don’t worry. There are plenty of alternatives to powdered sugar. Some chefs use confectioner’s sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, melted butter, and cream cheese frosting for their cinnamon rolls.
For vegetarians, you can mix almond milk and organic powdered sugar for vegetarian icing. Unsalted butter is also a good choice for healthy meals. Sounds pretty tempting, right?
How To Serve Cinnamon Roll Icing?
You can use the sugar frosting on cupcakes or muffins
There’s nothing better than a sweet and creamy topping on freshly baked golden brown warm rolls. Indeed this is the most classic and fantastic way to eat. But not only that, this icing has more diverse applications than you can imagine.
With its thick and fluffy texture, this sugar coating is the perfect accompaniment to many different desserts. You can serve it with gingerbread cookies or cupcakes.
Children will be the most loyal fans. No one can resist the allure of sweets, right?
If you want to store this frosting, make sure you store it in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated. You have one week to use this coating before it fails.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following section will provide the answers to some of the FAQs surrounding the use of powdered sugar in baking and icing.
How can you thicken the icing without using powdered sugar?
Some people don’t like to put too much powdered sugar in their dishes. The main reason is that they don’t want their taste to be too sweet.
Powdered sugar plays an important role in binding the mixture, so you can replace them with other thickeners.
Some suggestions for you are gelatin, cocoa powder, frozen cream, or cream cheese. The most critical thing is choosing a substitute that matches the taste of the dish you are making.
What can you use instead of icing for cinnamon rolls?
Everyone’s opinion is different. If you feel sugar icing and cinnamon rolls don’t go well together, try substituting other toppings.
Some of the recommendations we have for you include:
- Whipped cream. It’s not sweet and will make your cake greasy. In appearance, it is pretty similar to icing.
- Glaze or caramel sauce. This coating is also a top choice to replace frosting. You can also serve it with Bundt cakes.
- Chocolate sauce.
- Fresh fruit.
- Syrups and edible flowers.
Related: Meringue Without Cream Of Tartar
How can you harden the icing?
To harden your frosting, chill it or add sugar to the mix. Cover the tub and place it in the fridge for a few hours. The timing will depend on how much icing you’re making. After taking it out, you will get back a harder and colder mixture.
Alternatively, you can also add sugar to the foam by scooping the icing tub’s desired amount of foam. Then place it in t
Making cinnamon rolls icing without powdered sugar is not as difficult as you think. In just 10 – 15 minutes, you can have a delicious frosting ready for your cinnamon rolls. It’s also very convenient because, you know, not everyone has powdered sugar in their kitchen.
We hope you can successfully make this icing recipe according to Battersby instructions. If you still want to discover more interesting sweet recipes, check out our articles.
An Ultimate Guide On Easy Fudge Recipe Without Condensed Milk
Monday 6th of June 2022
[…] Related: Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Powdered Sugar […]
How To Make Alfredo Sauce Without Heavy Cream? [Alfredo Sauce Recipe]
Tuesday 3rd of May 2022
[…] View more: Cinnamon Roll Icing Without Powdered Sugar […]